Friday, November 18, 2011

Nursery Artwork

Remember that artwork I mentioned I had to finish? Well.... I finished it! And it is super stinking cute, I must say. Now, I must preface this by saying this was not my idea. I stole this little gem of a project from a blog I follow, the workaholic momma. If you haven't checked out her blog, you should. I love reading about her super adorable family, and she leaves me comments. So that makes me like her more :) So anyway. A few weeks ago she did a post about this fantastic idea for an art project with crayons. I loved it immediately! It's so cute, and who doesn't love crayons?! So I decided that this would be the art I displayed above Charlotte's crib. And without further adieu, I give you my masterpiece:




So, how did I created this amazing piece of art? Well, I'll tell you! And then you can make one for yourself!

What you'll need:
  • Box of 120 count crayons. This is what I used so I would have extras.
  • Hot glue gun.
  • Blank canvas. I used a 16x20, but you can go smaller or bigger if you want.
  • Hair dryer.
  • Black trash bags & tape. 
Step 1: Start by gluing your crayons across the top in a straight line. I used the ROY G BIV pattern, but backwards. The backwards part was an accident, but I like how it turned out :)
Step 2: Tape up your black trash bags to the wall. The hairdryer will blow the melted crayon around and get EVERYWHERE so the trash bags will save your walls, carpet, etc.
Step 3: Put your hairdryer on the highest heat setting, but lowest strength setting. Again, melted crayon=big mess.
Step 4: Turn on your hair dryer, and melt the tips of your crayons. Gravity will pull the melted crayon down, and it'll create it's own little pattern. You can use the hairdryer to manipulate the dripping crayon, but be careful.
Step 5: Let the melted crayon dry for about 5 mins, seriously that's all it needs.
Step 6: Voila! You've created a masterpiece and everyone you know will be jealous!

Have fun! I had a blast making this thing, and it was SOOOO easy! It's something Charlotte will have in her room forever, and hopefully it'll be something she treasures when she's older. I plan on making one for each kid in the future.

Crayons and hot glue gun.

Hair dryer. Any basic hair dryer will work. Mine obviously isn't fancy, and it was perfect.

Blank canvas, any size.


Step 1.

Steps 2 & 3

Steps 4, 5, & 6






If my instructions don't make sense, check out the link to the original poster. Her instructions made perfect sense :)
 photo chickapeasiggy_zpsaf5931e6.png

No comments:

Post a Comment