Friday, March 15, 2013

Let's talk about random Twitter followers

So like most other bloggers, I have a Twitter account. (You can follow me @ChickapeasMoma ) I love the Twitter! It's a great way to stay connected and post random thoughts without being that a*hole on Facebook updating your status every 13 seconds.

Here's what I don't like about Twitter: the random creepers who choose to follow you. Don't misunderstand me, I love getting new followers! It's a huge ego boost to know that somebody else is choosing to know what's going on in my life. The internal dialogue in my head usually goes something like this: "oh a new follower! I'm getting popular! They think I'm cool! My blog must not be a complete joke! Etc." Occasionally though, I get a new follower who looks questionable. Tonight for example, I get onto Twitter to check what's going on. Stalk my fave blog girls, see what brilliant and insightful things celebs are tweeting, you know, the usual. And I notice I have a new follower. Woo hoo! A new follower! How exciting! So I click his profile and start checking his info out. I'm thinking he must be a fellow blogger, must be a dad blogger. Um no.

This kid, this child(!), couldn't have been more than 14 years old! I don't know him, I've never met him, and he certainly isn't a fellow parent blogger. His picture is of him with a coy smile, his hand running through his Justin Bieber hair, blue jeans, and oh yeah, no shirt. What the what?! Ugh.

Who is this random kid, why is his shirt off, why is he following me, and why isn't his mom monitoring what he's doing online?! I had no words. Of course I blocked him. I don't want to be put on some FBI watch list, and definitely don't want this rando being able to see the pics I post of my baby.

I'm also a little creeped out. Who just goes around randomly following people on Twitter that they don't know?! It would never occur to me to do something like that. This happens with Facebook all the time too. I get random friend requests from people I don't know in real life, so I deny them. Then I end up getting emails from these denied "friends" wanting to know why I didn't accept their request. Um, b/c I don't know you that's why!

Am I the only one that feels this way? I know blogging and putting my life out there is kind of hypocritical to everything I just said up above, but I still sensor what I post. I don't share where we live, our last name, names of friend's kids, etc.

What do y'all think? Am I being too judgy, cautious?


*And a picture of a laughing bebe with a garden gnome. B/c why not? What's cuter than that?!






 photo chickapeasiggy_zpsaf5931e6.png

1 comment:

  1. Haha, I only use my Twitter for blog related things, usually. Its just too much for me to keep up with on a personal level. But I do get tons of random followers that are not bloggers, not parents, some are older men. It is very strange. I would never just click on a random person's twitter and follow them. I don't get it haha. Maybe they have hopes of you following them back so they can be popular on Twitter? Who knows!

    ReplyDelete