Friday, August 3, 2012

Chick Fil-A

I've debated whether or not I wanted to even share this with anybody other than my husband and family. My Facebook feed as been blowing up with the Chick Fil-A drama, and half of it is in support of the chain, and the other is not in support, but 100% of it is angry and hateful and it's got me kinda irked. Here's my take on it. I support gay rights, and I truly believe they should have the right to get married, and all the rights that come along with being married and having a spouse. But I also support the right of free speech, and the owner of this food establishment to voice his beliefs without having to worry about being attacked simply b/c his opinion isn't popular. Last time I checked, we lived in America, and the right of free speech is a constitutionally protected right. And the argument of "Well I don't want MY money going to support someone who gives it to anti-gay groups" is crap too. Once you spend it, that money is no longer "yours". You gave it away, and it now belongs to wherever you spent it. Does your place of employment call you dictating where you can spend your paycheck? I didn't think so.  Also, don't quote the Bible to me. I am a God fearing christian woman, who attends church every Sunday, says my prayers every night before bed, and I still think gay mean and women should have the same rights as I do. God and Jesus taught us to love each other unconditionally, so that's what I choose to do. Do I agree with the owners of Chick Fil-A? Nope. Do I support their right to their opinion and to support it anyway they deem appropriate? Yep. Does that make me a bad person? Hell no.

I realize that this is a hot topic, and it gets a lot of people riled up. That's not what I'm trying to do. I do truly believe that we can all have differing opinions and still respect one another's right to have that opinion, without fear of being attacked for it. My husband and I disagree strongly about this, and that's ok. It's not like this is something that's just now coming to light for us either. We've always know each other's stance on gay rights, and we still chose to see, love, and then marry one another, and do you know why? B/c we respect one another and each other's beliefs. This does not make my husband a bad person, or make me a bad person, it's just simply the way it is in out world. Oh and we're both conservative Republicans. So how bout that. 

I'm not writing any of this to offend anyone, or set off some great debate. I just wanted to voice my frustration with the whole "You disagree with me, therefore I'm going to attack you" mentality our country has adopted. I just wish everyone would respect that we're all different, and that's ok.

 photo chickapeasiggy_zpsaf5931e6.png

No comments:

Post a Comment